Below are just a few suggestions for getting started losing weight. No one technique is right for everyone, but these changes tend to work well for most people. Always check with your physician to be sure a particular diet is safe you.
- Cut out soda, juice and sugar candy (gummies and hard candies). These are the only foods I will tell you never to eat or drink. They are pure sugar with no nutritional benefit.
- Cut back on carbohydrates including fruit. Start by recording a few typical days in an app like myfitnesspal (the free version is fine!) Don’t worry about calories, fat or protein. Work to cut back to about 100 grams of total carbohydrates per day.
- Try Intermittent fasting (also called time restricted eating). The goal is to limit your eating to 8-10 hours per day. Most people accomplish this by pushing breakfast back a couple of hours or just start with lunch. Try eating from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Never consume carbohydrates alone. Also have a little protein or healthy fat with your carbs–think an apple with nut butter or whole grain toast with avocado. This will help keep you feeling full for longer.
- Increase your activity. Make sure you get up at least once an hour and move! Go for a walk during conference calls. Head down to check the mail and take the stairs back up to your apartment. Take a brisk walk around the block after lunch or dinner. Just move.